- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Persona
Italian DJ and producer Marco Tonni started out as a teenage rocker before moving on to electronics, and he apparently still dabbles in a range of music: His second album, Figura, is supposedly inspired by jazz, the tracks representing an imaginary girl's "emotional mirror." But there's little jazz feel to the minimal techno here, with no melodic lines anchoring the experimentation. Best to ignore the bombastic concept, then, and dive into the sparse layers he builds atop often-squelchy beats, softened with hazy edges. Though the album can feel self-indulgent, a few tracks, such as "She Let Some Light In," stand out. Not a wildfire, maybe, but some heat nonetheless.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player