- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Persona
Italian DJ and producer Marco Tonni started out as a teenage rocker before moving on to electronics, and he apparently still dabbles in a range of music: His second album, Figura, is supposedly inspired by jazz, the tracks representing an imaginary girl's "emotional mirror." But there's little jazz feel to the minimal techno here, with no melodic lines anchoring the experimentation. Best to ignore the bombastic concept, then, and dive into the sparse layers he builds atop often-squelchy beats, softened with hazy edges. Though the album can feel self-indulgent, a few tracks, such as "She Let Some Light In," stand out. Not a wildfire, maybe, but some heat nonetheless.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player