Tracey Thorn Out of the Woods
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Virgin
Tracey Thorn seems nostalgic for Britain's melancholic new wave. And who can blame her? As the boisterous glare of Lily Allen & Co. takes over British pop, the subtle balladeer that Thorn represented in Everything But The Girl has slipped even deeper into the shadows. Thorn's new disc-which includes production and writing help from Ewan Pearson, Metro Area's Darshan Jesrani, and others-proves there's plenty of room for both. With warm electro and synth-pop sounds and EBTG-esque house beats, the disc shimmers with lamentation and shines with regret: A masterwork of forging beautiful pop from England's permanent sense of woe.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player