Tropics Mouves EP
For a 22-year-old, Briton Chris Ward, the lone soul behind Tropics, has absorbed his fair share of music made before he was even thought of. On Mouves, his second EP, a four-tracker for Planet Mu, Ward's brand of gauzy, post-rocky electronic pop looks clearly in the direction of vintage Factory Records—"Celebrate" lightly mimics Durutti Column's gorgeous guitar runs, while the title track harks back to The Wake's gentle, but synth-heavy post-punk vibes. Of course, what this newcomer brings to those sounds is of utmost importance here, and it's touches like the snappy snares on "Mouves," which usher along a percolating, danceable synth line, Peter Hook-lite bass, and ethereal vocals, that make this such a forward-moving slice of electronic pop. Even Tony Wilson couldn't have predicted the song's slinky and icy remix from Keep Shelly in Athens, nor would he have imagined FaltyDL's deep and vibey, almost Art of Noise-esque take on the track. But maybe what's most surprising of all is that Planet Mu, the genre-defying record house run by Mike Paradinas, has decided to put out such an unchallenging (in a good way) release, so much in contrast with the label's occasionally abrasive (also in a good way) experiments in sound. Either way, Mouves signals a exciting new direction for Planet Mu, and continues this promising youngster's upward trajectory.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player