Two Fingers Two Fingers
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Paper Bag
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
This debut from Brazilian icon Amon Tobin and collaborator Joe “Doubleclick” Chapman takes psych hip-hop one step forward. A quick listen could prompt suspicions that the duo scanned the Cliff Notes for Timbaland, but the acid-melted percussion and fluid rhythms recall Tobin’s ’00 masterwork, Supermodified. “What You Know”’s clanging Middle Eastern beats resemble those of the Tobin oldie, “Saboteur,” while the closer, “Moth Rhythm,” is electro-fried funk at its galactic best. Yet the album’s true centerpiece is MC Sway, a North London rapper whose deft vocal acrobatics occasionally slip words off his tongue faster than the mind can process them, as heard on “Not Perfect.” Two Fingers just might be taking hip-hop into the ’10s.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player