Ugly Duckling Taste the Secret
- Words: Pete Babb
- Label: Emperor Norton
Wow, what a fun record-perhaps the most entertaining and enjoyable release of the year so far. The overall sound and feel of Taste the Secret is straight out of the early '90s (and that's a good thing). Ugly Duckling don't use the golden era as mere window dressing-they exemplify it with witty rhymes and dusty production that's packed with breaks and fills that keep the beats from stagnating. Meanwhile, MCs Andy and Dizzy keep the fun-factor high from beginning to end, kicking skillful and hilarious rhymes. Throw in some thematic skits that would make Prince Paul proud, and you've got one solid hip-hop album.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
XLR8R Downloads Player