The Uglysuit The Uglysuit
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Quarterstick
The Uglysuit describes its music as “an extended love song to the notion that everything is possible, yet nothing is guaranteed”–a fit of hubris that somehow doesn’t seem surprising coming from six 20-to-23-year-olds from Oklahoma City. Though their debut album doesn’t live up to such conceptual heights (what could?), it’s certainly nothing to sneer at. “…And We Became Sunshine” and “Everyone Now Has a Smile” are driven by rich piano arpeggios and light, blissed-out guitar, the lazy melodies wet with reverb. There seems nothing these kids would rather be doing than playing with each other–a premise that makes a sappy line like “We’re up so high in the sky/Let’s just relax and unwind” easy to ignore.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
XLR8R Downloads Player