- Words: Steve McLay
- Label: Tehnika
The artist album is a tool that many use for different means. Some view it purely as a collection of tracks, while others see it as a chance to expand their horizons and do something, well, special. Current techno darling Umek has decided to do the latter in a move that will no doubt equally excite and upset fans. Rather than simply welding together the kind of crunching, industrialized clanks that he's become famous for, he's opted to create an album that explores far greater depths. Using an array of sullen moods, Umek builds a darkened electronic soundscape that only finds its dancing feet towards the end, but always maintains a high standard of quality. If you skipped lessons at school, avoid this-otherwise lap up a genuinely brilliant album.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player