- Words: Steve McLay
- Label: Tehnika
The artist album is a tool that many use for different means. Some view it purely as a collection of tracks, while others see it as a chance to expand their horizons and do something, well, special. Current techno darling Umek has decided to do the latter in a move that will no doubt equally excite and upset fans. Rather than simply welding together the kind of crunching, industrialized clanks that he's become famous for, he's opted to create an album that explores far greater depths. Using an array of sullen moods, Umek builds a darkened electronic soundscape that only finds its dancing feet towards the end, but always maintains a high standard of quality. If you skipped lessons at school, avoid this-otherwise lap up a genuinely brilliant album.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player