Unit I Came Here to Tell You How It's Going to Begin
- Words: Brock Phillips
- Label: Co.ad.audio
The world has changed dramatically in the five years since Unit released his debut, The Narcoleptic Symphony, but Cristian Fleming's sonic forays are as cryptic as ever. Microscopic scrapings of noise coalesce from chaos into whorls of rhythm; it's the aural equivalent of running a magnet over a scattered handful of iron shavings while watching them fuse into a single entity. These granular symphonies, complemented by sweeping synth melodies, call to mind vintage Vangelis or Aphex Twin. While his approach is not as revolutionary as it was at the turn of the millennium, few producers manage to operate in both a macro and micro sense as effectively as Unit does.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player