Unit I Came Here to Tell You How It's Going to Begin
- Words: Brock Phillips
- Label: Co.ad.audio
The world has changed dramatically in the five years since Unit released his debut, The Narcoleptic Symphony, but Cristian Fleming's sonic forays are as cryptic as ever. Microscopic scrapings of noise coalesce from chaos into whorls of rhythm; it's the aural equivalent of running a magnet over a scattered handful of iron shavings while watching them fuse into a single entity. These granular symphonies, complemented by sweeping synth melodies, call to mind vintage Vangelis or Aphex Twin. While his approach is not as revolutionary as it was at the turn of the millennium, few producers manage to operate in both a macro and micro sense as effectively as Unit does.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player