Unkle War Stories
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Surrender All
I'm gonna die in a place that don't know my name, Richard Ashcroft moaned nine years ago on Unkle's Psyence Fiction. But "Lonely Soul" would've worked even better on the desolate landscape of War Stories, the third concept album from Unkle mastermind James Lavelle. The theme here is terrestrial annihilation, as War Stories' psychedelic haze of live drums and hypnotic guitars (Queens of the Stone Age's Chris Goss is co-producer) grips you like a breath of desert air. The bombast can get stifling, but you're hopelessly drawn to the reverberating mirage of tracks like "Keys to the Kingdom," voiced by Gavin Clark. Lavelle's latest trip to Never Neverland is risky, but more accurately: hot.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player