Unwed Sailor Little Wars
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Burnt Toast
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
A full decade into their career, the rotating-member post-rock troupe Unwed Sailor has remained largely undiscovered. Based around the compositions of Johnathon Ford, known for his time spent with avant-hardcore pioneers Roadside Monument, the group abandons the crescendo-based hyperbole of their peers for some nuanced subtlety on Little Wars, their ninth release. Opener “Copper Islands” is guided by upbeat guitars and keys while the title track ebbs and flows with washes of synthesizers. As the album progresses, each song is given enough room to develop without being overshadowed by melodrama.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player