Unwed Sailor Little Wars
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: Burnt Toast
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
A full decade into their career, the rotating-member post-rock troupe Unwed Sailor has remained largely undiscovered. Based around the compositions of Johnathon Ford, known for his time spent with avant-hardcore pioneers Roadside Monument, the group abandons the crescendo-based hyperbole of their peers for some nuanced subtlety on Little Wars, their ninth release. Opener “Copper Islands” is guided by upbeat guitars and keys while the title track ebbs and flows with washes of synthesizers. As the album progresses, each song is given enough room to develop without being overshadowed by melodrama.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player