Ursula 1000 Undressed… Remixed
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: ESL
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Naturally, ESL has favored the sounds of its label heads, the Thievery Corporation boys, and their chic, cosmopolitan lounge leanings–a sound that Ursula 1000 (a.k.a. N.Y.-based Alex Gimeno) has embraced, though with a more playful edge. Here, his songs from the Here Comes Tomorrow album are tackled by others; also on offer is a new dancehall-flavored track, “Step Back,” remixed into a bassy version by Deekline and Ed Solo. The remixes blend a jet-set mentality, a cheeky sense of humor, and pure sexiness, like the Prince-style funk lacing Fort Knox Five’s remix of “Electrik Boogie” or the sleek minimal techno of Robosonic’s “Hello! Let’s Go to a Disco” remix. Sassily sophisticated.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player