Various Artists Styles Upon Styles: A Collection of New Zealand Urban Soul
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Sugarlicks
Known more for Frodo and Orks than music, this New Zealand label is putting Pacific soul on the map. This 12-track compilation features an incredible range of R&B/reggae-influenced artists, including Nat Rose and his sensually silken "Soul 2 Soul" and Jah'Licious's midtempo groove "Jammin' to Music." One Million Dollars' unique take on the melody of Faith No More's "Edge of the World" is only one way these islanders pull from Western soul. The influence is apparent throughout-the slower electronic rhythms have Giant Step written all over them, but the soul is completely their own.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player