Various Artists Styles Upon Styles: A Collection of New Zealand Urban Soul
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Sugarlicks
Known more for Frodo and Orks than music, this New Zealand label is putting Pacific soul on the map. This 12-track compilation features an incredible range of R&B/reggae-influenced artists, including Nat Rose and his sensually silken "Soul 2 Soul" and Jah'Licious's midtempo groove "Jammin' to Music." One Million Dollars' unique take on the melody of Faith No More's "Edge of the World" is only one way these islanders pull from Western soul. The influence is apparent throughout-the slower electronic rhythms have Giant Step written all over them, but the soul is completely their own.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player