Various Artists 8-Bit Operators
- Words: Fred Miketa
- Label: Astralwerks
Unlike just about every Kraftwerk tribute record to date, 8-Bit Operators is the modern (well, throwback-modern) response to the producers and bands who have failed to pay proper homage to machine music's innovators. Armed with custom-made 8-bit analog gadgets (most of which were created by the artists themselves), producers from 8-Bit Weapon to Sweden's Role Model to Nullsleep demonstrate their own blends of chip-rock-stuff that's amped enough to make the German computer kings hack their own Nintendos and hop back into the studio. Between 8-Bit Weapon's attention to melody and crunch on their studious and precise version of "Spacelab" and Nullsleep's repetitive, morphine-Tetris take on "The Model," this tribute accomplishes far more than reinventing Kraftwerk songs with tweaked Commodores; it truly illlustrates how exponentially the chip scene has grown. This is computer love.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player