Various Artists African Scream Contest
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Analog Africa
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
On this terribly overdue comp of ‘70s funk from Benin and Togo, curator Samy Ben Redjeb documents some of the best footprints that James Brown left on West African groove. The infusion of the Godfather’s screeching energy and locked grooves is ripe in the Beninese dance rhythm on Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou’s “Gbeti Madjro.” Elsewhere, Picoby Band D’Abomey’s frenetic breakbeats and lightly distorted vocals achieve a fine psychedelic grace, while the Discafric Band produces ace robotic funk from deadpan chants and a hypnotic, bare-bones rhythm. It’s sad that so few outsiders have discovered these gems until now.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
XLR8R Downloads Player