Various Artists Africanism Project
- Words: Steve McLay
- Label: Defected-Yellow
France's Africanism label has become a firm focus for anyone with an ear for truly great house music, and now all those who devote themselves to playing catch-up rather than discovery can find out why. Spread across two CDs elegantly mixed by DJ Gregory and Bob Sinclair, this collection impresses from the very first beat to the very last snare. From the tribal holler of Gregory's own "Tropical Soundclash" to the more laid-back vibes of John Ciafone's Spanish guitar-tinged "Majito," there's not a track on here that's not a born and bred winner. Tracks so universally appealing are rare commodities, and Gregory and Sinclair deserve full credit for maintaining that appeal without lowering standards or cheapening the product. This is house music at its finest.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player