Various Artists Africanism Project
- Words: Steve McLay
- Label: Defected-Yellow
France's Africanism label has become a firm focus for anyone with an ear for truly great house music, and now all those who devote themselves to playing catch-up rather than discovery can find out why. Spread across two CDs elegantly mixed by DJ Gregory and Bob Sinclair, this collection impresses from the very first beat to the very last snare. From the tribal holler of Gregory's own "Tropical Soundclash" to the more laid-back vibes of John Ciafone's Spanish guitar-tinged "Majito," there's not a track on here that's not a born and bred winner. Tracks so universally appealing are rare commodities, and Gregory and Sinclair deserve full credit for maintaining that appeal without lowering standards or cheapening the product. This is house music at its finest.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player