Various Artists Africanism Project
- Words: Steve McLay
- Label: Defected-Yellow
France's Africanism label has become a firm focus for anyone with an ear for truly great house music, and now all those who devote themselves to playing catch-up rather than discovery can find out why. Spread across two CDs elegantly mixed by DJ Gregory and Bob Sinclair, this collection impresses from the very first beat to the very last snare. From the tribal holler of Gregory's own "Tropical Soundclash" to the more laid-back vibes of John Ciafone's Spanish guitar-tinged "Majito," there's not a track on here that's not a born and bred winner. Tracks so universally appealing are rare commodities, and Gregory and Sinclair deserve full credit for maintaining that appeal without lowering standards or cheapening the product. This is house music at its finest.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player