Various Artists Afrique C‘Est Chic
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Slip‘n‘Slide
Africa has an absurdly rich musical tradition, which makes it puzzling that this disc doesn‘t draw more on that continent‘s offerings. Though a solid enough house album, most of the 12 tracks here feature African vocals and occasional drumming, but little else African. Soul Khula‘s "Saturday Night"-a standout with a great bassline and spoken vocals-doesn‘t even have that much. And "Dingo" from Tiger Stripes has seen better incarnations elsewhere. With tracks like the laidback "Malombo" from Mahoota, this album isn‘t bad at all-just a bit misnamed.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player