Various Artists Annie: DJ-Kicks
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: !K7
Annie often resembles a Kylie Minogue for the Gen Y cosmo crowd. I was suspicious that she couldn't go far without her producers in her solo DJ set, but she does fine. Our woman delivers a familiar mutant disco/electroclash/indie rock/dance punk mix featuring the usual suspects: Le Tigre, ESG, Liquid Liquid, Death from Above 1979, Mu. However, the surprises come in the form of the Gucci Crew II's oversexed Miami Bass classic "Sally, That Girl" and Annie's own "Wedding" and "Gimmie Your Money," both of which sound like ‘83 Madonna singing in a club polluted with amyl nitrate. Now that's entertainment.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
XLR8R Downloads Player