Various Artists Annie: DJ-Kicks
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: !K7
Annie often resembles a Kylie Minogue for the Gen Y cosmo crowd. I was suspicious that she couldn't go far without her producers in her solo DJ set, but she does fine. Our woman delivers a familiar mutant disco/electroclash/indie rock/dance punk mix featuring the usual suspects: Le Tigre, ESG, Liquid Liquid, Death from Above 1979, Mu. However, the surprises come in the form of the Gucci Crew II's oversexed Miami Bass classic "Sally, That Girl" and Annie's own "Wedding" and "Gimmie Your Money," both of which sound like ‘83 Madonna singing in a club polluted with amyl nitrate. Now that's entertainment.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player