Various Artists Aquarius Rock: The Hip Reggae World of Herman Chin Loy
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Pressure Sounds
The proprietor of Kingston record shop Aquarius and the Aquarius and Scorpio labels, producer Herman Chin Loy was one of the first members of Jamaica‘s large Chinese and mixed-race Asian population to leave his mark on reggae music. The original "Augustus Pablo," Chin Loy bequeathed that name unto Horace Swaby and his melodica, with whom he carved the legacy of funky reggae and dub mined here. While any reggae student should have a good number of these tracks in their collection, rare versions like The Teacher‘s "Soul Vibration" and Herman‘s "Aquarius Dub" could give the Soul Jazz people some competition for the year‘s best archival reggae compilation.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player