Various Artists Aquarius Rock: The Hip Reggae World of Herman Chin Loy
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Pressure Sounds
The proprietor of Kingston record shop Aquarius and the Aquarius and Scorpio labels, producer Herman Chin Loy was one of the first members of Jamaica‘s large Chinese and mixed-race Asian population to leave his mark on reggae music. The original "Augustus Pablo," Chin Loy bequeathed that name unto Horace Swaby and his melodica, with whom he carved the legacy of funky reggae and dub mined here. While any reggae student should have a good number of these tracks in their collection, rare versions like The Teacher‘s "Soul Vibration" and Herman‘s "Aquarius Dub" could give the Soul Jazz people some competition for the year‘s best archival reggae compilation.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player