Various Artists Aurora 2
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Merck
Sonically, little to nothing new is featured on Merck‘s latest all-ambient disc. Most of the synth patches are the same ones used by bedroom musicians who are just figuring out their desktop‘s plug-ins. Nonetheless, Aurora 2 is engrossing for how its artists simply breathe. Sabi floats like gutter steam in a rainshower with the pattering beats and narcotic synth tones of "Dancing in a Rainstorm." Elsewhere, Kettel‘s guitar drones ignite a St. Elmo‘s Fire that glows for miles, while Ginormous levitates into the stratosphere with geothermic symphonics. Most striking is Twerk‘s "From Brown to Green," where a smooth R&B ballad twitches and struggles to correct itself like a lost space probe hovering around a barren moon.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player