Various Artists Basswerk Sessions Vol.3
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Basswerk
- XLR8R Rating: 4/10
The last Basswerk Sessions volume came out in 2003 and unfortunately, Vol. 3 only reinforces that drum & bass has not advanced much in the past five years. Although the Cologne-based label has done an admirable job assembling a massive collection of tunes, no amount of quantity can override the lack of new ideas. The compilation is split into three distinct sessions (“Chill,” Groove,” and “Technik”), but all the usual clichés are present: rolling jump-up beats, scary raved-up synths, hard-hitting tech-step bangers, and an overwhelming sense of tedium. At least the compilation is unmixed–aspiring DJs could just dump this 50-track arsenal into their laptop and immediately sound like every other drum & bass DJ out there.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player