Various Artists Basswerk Sessions Vol.3
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Basswerk
- XLR8R Rating: 4/10
The last Basswerk Sessions volume came out in 2003 and unfortunately, Vol. 3 only reinforces that drum & bass has not advanced much in the past five years. Although the Cologne-based label has done an admirable job assembling a massive collection of tunes, no amount of quantity can override the lack of new ideas. The compilation is split into three distinct sessions (“Chill,” Groove,” and “Technik”), but all the usual clichés are present: rolling jump-up beats, scary raved-up synths, hard-hitting tech-step bangers, and an overwhelming sense of tedium. At least the compilation is unmixed–aspiring DJs could just dump this 50-track arsenal into their laptop and immediately sound like every other drum & bass DJ out there.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player