Various Artists Bis Neunzehn
- Words: Philip Sherburne
- Label: Areal
Areal proves that the sound of Cologne doesn't begin and end with the city's internationally recognized minimal techno chug. The label's second mixed compilation presents a dozen tracks from its core acts, slipping from Konfekt's gauzy dream states to Ada's emotion-overload click-house to Metope's post-trance wallop. The common denominator is a spangled acid touch that makes every bleep and bleating synthesizer line sparkle. Fans of Kompakt and Sub Static will inhale this eagerly, but the buzz is unpredictable, swinging from euphoria to melancholy in a few bars. Is it microhouse? Macrohouse? There are no obvious catch-alls for Areal's sound-just a monumental mass that recedes in the distance no matter how doggedly you pursue it.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player