Various Artists Blue Note Revisited
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Blue Note
With producers from J Dilla to Madlib to 4hero to Herbert, this compilation could have easily been a stylistic train wreck-but somehow it works, and quite brilliantly in fact. Kyoto Jazz Massive goes for a typically broken, space jazz trip on Eddie Henderson's "Kudu," while DJ Spinna takes an appropriately laidback, cruising-with-the-top-down approach to remixing Donald Byrd. Not every new version is perfect (Herbert hijacks Michel Petrucciani into a stuttering mess) but no matter the genre, the fit between most of these dance jazz modernists and their forebears is fortuitous.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player