Various Artists Blue Note Revisited
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Blue Note
With producers from J Dilla to Madlib to 4hero to Herbert, this compilation could have easily been a stylistic train wreck-but somehow it works, and quite brilliantly in fact. Kyoto Jazz Massive goes for a typically broken, space jazz trip on Eddie Henderson's "Kudu," while DJ Spinna takes an appropriately laidback, cruising-with-the-top-down approach to remixing Donald Byrd. Not every new version is perfect (Herbert hijacks Michel Petrucciani into a stuttering mess) but no matter the genre, the fit between most of these dance jazz modernists and their forebears is fortuitous.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player