Various Artists Body Language Vol. 4: Compiled and Mixed by DJ Dixon
- Words: Derek Grey
- Label: Get Physical
Timo Maas doesn't usually get fans of obscure dance music too pumped, so it's surprising when Innervisions purveyor DJ Dixon kicks off his latest mix with Maas' subdued "Slip In Electro Kid," that it works to set a dark, deep, and uber-cool tone. Chromatics' breathy, '80s-radio-inspired "In the City" doesn't hurt either, and before you know it, Dixon's leading listeners down a retro-tinged path that requires neither heavy beats, bass drops, nor synth arpeggios to keep our attention. A creator of moods rather than a keeper of tech-house's status quo, Dixon does himself proud with Vol. 4.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player