Various Artists Boogaloo Pow Wow
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Soul Jazz
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Like all the best dance crazes, boogaloo—the passionately funky, vivacious combination of soul and Latin jazz—lasted but a heartbeat on the musical scene of ’60s America. The quality of records produced benefited from veteran jazz and soul players jumping on the bandwagon, and Boogaloo Pow Wow is possibly the most universally appealing comp of Funky Spanish Harlem’s ’60s grooves since the dawn of the reissue revival. The heavy-hitters from the contemporary funk scene are here, like KAKO’s “Cool Jerk” and Manny Corchado’s floor-filler “Pow Wow.” So, too, are more jazz-oriented contributions, proving that boogaloo had the roots and experience to make a lasting musical impression during its short time in the limelight.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player