Various Artists Brothers On The Slide: The Story Of UK Funk
- Words: Rico "Superbizzee" Washington
- Label: Discotheque-Sanctuary
Just when you thought England was funk impaired, Discotheque shuttles in 18 juggernauts to blow your wig and change your mind. Importing musical cues from stateside pioneers, the groups here stir in their native African and Caribbean influences for flavor. The set mixes usual suspects like Cymande, Labi Siffre, and Average White Band with more obscure outfits such as Black Velvet and The Equals. Replete with liner notes, interviews, photos, and a gang of gnarly funk, this is a must for collectors and connoisseurs of groove. Star cut: Madeline Bell‘s rare gator funk jam "Comin‘ Atcha," produced by Led Zeppelin bassist John-Paul Jones.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player