Various Artists Brothers On The Slide: The Story Of UK Funk
- Words: Rico "Superbizzee" Washington
- Label: Discotheque-Sanctuary
Just when you thought England was funk impaired, Discotheque shuttles in 18 juggernauts to blow your wig and change your mind. Importing musical cues from stateside pioneers, the groups here stir in their native African and Caribbean influences for flavor. The set mixes usual suspects like Cymande, Labi Siffre, and Average White Band with more obscure outfits such as Black Velvet and The Equals. Replete with liner notes, interviews, photos, and a gang of gnarly funk, this is a must for collectors and connoisseurs of groove. Star cut: Madeline Bell‘s rare gator funk jam "Comin‘ Atcha," produced by Led Zeppelin bassist John-Paul Jones.
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
XLR8R Downloads Player