Various Artists Chem087cd+dvd
- Words: Aaron Ashley
- Label: Chemikal Underground
When Glasgow band The Delgados started Chemikal Underground 11 years ago to release their single "Monica Webster" b/w "Brand New Car," they likely didn't think that it would go on to influence the next generation of Brit-pop kings and queens. Folks like Bis, Radar Bros, Mogwai, and Arab Strap would all rise to relative fame with the push that the label provided. And though a number of the bands have since broken up, their wistfully morose tunes (see Arab Strap's drumbox-driven "I Work in a Saloon") continue to define the darker, non-Belle and Sebastian side of Glasgow's once ridiculously prolific scene. Hell, even American flourishes like Interpol's gothy "5" are thrown in. But the real treat here is, without a doubt, the accompanying DVD, featuring videos that most of us without Top of the Pops access would never see, including seven from Arab Strap alone. Brilliant.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
XLR8R Downloads Player