Various Artists Christophe Monier Presents Rockers' Delight: The Rock Sound of Darkest Paris 1990-1996
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Quatermass
News flash: the French aren't all disco-house pogoing robots! Nor are they Air-jocking AM-radio enthusiasts! This brilliantly curated compilation remembers a forgotten Gallic underworld, where dirty guitar-riff shrapnel collided with muddy thuds of electro and techno percussion. Back then, vocals on records weren't filtered through the sunny robo-spectrum of a vocoder, but-as evidenced by Patrick Vidal's two cuts as Discotique-ranged from seductively suggestive downtempo to literally screaming sex. Some distant echoes of its elastic bass and electroclash-anticipating arpeggiated basslines certainly survived, yet the grit of musical integrity and invention displayed here has not. Read the track listing out loud in a "Where are they now?" voice.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player