Various Artists Colors Sounds: Nordic
- Words: Tim Pratt
- Label: Irma Group
The Colors Sounds project is a new series of compilations being produced by Colors magazine (owned by clothing company Benetton) and the first, Nordic, culls tracks from artists in Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Iceland. Though the comp features a number of different styles, there's something genuinely friendly and inviting about the album, emphasizing melody and warm, crackly productions (like Royskøpp, Múm, Jimi Tenor) as well as the colder, more menacing music (Xploding Plastix, Pan Sonic). Sweden's He Said Omala incorporates a slowed vocal sample of Roy Orbison's "Blue Bayou" that's particularly unnerving. Though some of the tracks are a few years old, Nordic is a good introduction to a music scene that's relatively untapped.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player