Various Artists Colour Series 2: Blue
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Freerange
Freakin‘ Freerange! Like Strictly Rhythm in the late ‘80s or Mo‘ Wax in the early ‘90s, you can pick up practically any Freerange release and be guaranteed a winner. Here they do the compilation work for you, pulling together selections from label mainstays like Shur-I-Kan and Trevor Loveys plus new (to them) names like Kirk DeGiorgio and King Kooba. What do they all have in common? Shiny, sleek synths, percolating on Atjazz‘s remix of Subjekt‘s "Be My Chicago" and warmly enveloping on DeGiorgio‘s "Cosmic Peasant;" huge, rubbery bass drums, pounding relentlessly on Switch‘s "Get on Downz" and making a warm bed for swinging snares on Brett Johnson‘s take on Shur-I-Kan‘s "Generations." Specific sounds aside, these songs all share one important trait-they‘ll show you hell of a good time.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player