Various Artists Colour Series 2: Blue
- Words: Peter Nicholson
- Label: Freerange
Freakin‘ Freerange! Like Strictly Rhythm in the late ‘80s or Mo‘ Wax in the early ‘90s, you can pick up practically any Freerange release and be guaranteed a winner. Here they do the compilation work for you, pulling together selections from label mainstays like Shur-I-Kan and Trevor Loveys plus new (to them) names like Kirk DeGiorgio and King Kooba. What do they all have in common? Shiny, sleek synths, percolating on Atjazz‘s remix of Subjekt‘s "Be My Chicago" and warmly enveloping on DeGiorgio‘s "Cosmic Peasant;" huge, rubbery bass drums, pounding relentlessly on Switch‘s "Get on Downz" and making a warm bed for swinging snares on Brett Johnson‘s take on Shur-I-Kan‘s "Generations." Specific sounds aside, these songs all share one important trait-they‘ll show you hell of a good time.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
XLR8R Downloads Player