Various Artists Compost Dreihundert: Freshly Composted Vol. 3
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Compost
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
For its 300th release, and the third installment of its Freshly Composted sampler-style collection series, Compost Records proves once again that electronic neo- and dance-jazz not only deserves to remain on our musical radar, but might just be a beacon–not a blip. Compost’s signature warm, augmented chords and loping dance beats appear on tracks like Alif Tree’s “Mai” and Beanfield’s “Tides,” and Eddy Meets Yannah’s “Solid Ground” has that spiritual crescendo that Body & Soul would’ve died for. On perhaps the collection’s finest track, Wojtek Urbanski’s “Violet Violin” uses circa-2001 glitches and a broken beat to augment a proud and schizophrenic violin schema. If they’ll sound anything like this, let Compost’s next 300 roll on!
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player