Various Artists Corymb
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Lex
Cincinnati hip-hop producer Boom Bip makes music for the corner of the eye. Unlike the bedrock-solid breaks, concrete girder rhymes and gleaming glass-and-steel hooks of "traditional" hip-hop, Boom Bip's willowy loops leave a lot to the imagination. Now Boom Bip has been interpreted by several imagineer peers on a compendium of remixes that combine his Peel sessions with four new tracks. Respectfully reflective, Boards of Canada goes for a wispy, soft filter and a glistening sun-dappled feel. Considering Canadian producer Aaron "Venetian Snares" Funk's history of making music from the sounds of sexual intercourse, the robofunk fucking applied to "The Unthinkable" is surprisingly subdued. "Closed Shoulders (cLOUDDEAD remix)" is an eerie plod, a blunted haze, and Four Tet sets off a squadron of wind-up toys that gently rustle. As for the original tracks, refracted hints of Future Sound of London and Kid Loco's submerged shuffle adorn solid contributions to an atrium of melodious drifts.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player