Various Artists CTM: Club Transmediale
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Rx:Tx
CTM documents Berlin's annual Club Transmediale festival of experimental music, and some of the ancient sounds found herein manage to achieve a grace that no laptop or damaged guitar can touch. The string solo on "Atabat," by Syrian classical masters The Omar Souleyman Band, has a taunting trickster's voice in its bewitching chords, which were perhaps just as arresting centuries ago as they are today. Some standouts include O.S.T.'s haunting string drones on "Synken," Frivolous' ring-a-ding-ding microhouse, and Like a Tim's spaced-out Atari 5200 acid-techno. But at times, the kitchen-sink eclecticism leaves an uneven mess, and a glib and skuzzy death-metal and noisecore element vandalizes CTM.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player