Various Artists Cult Cargo: Belize City Boil Up
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Numero Group
To prove that defenses against the global funk pandemic are as weak as ever, the brilliant muso-historical revisionists at the Numero Group present Cult Cargo, 16 infectious cuts of ‘60s and ‘70s funk, disco and reggae from (get this) Belize. These tracks are deadly to the un-inoculated-which, of course, is almost everyone. Where before have you grooved to The Harmonettes' floor-shaking version of "Shame Shame Shame"? Unless you've dug in dusty Belize City crates, you've never experienced exceptional chunks of funk like Soul Creations' epic "Funky Jive." Heavily influenced by James Brown and JA, yet flavored with a heretofore little-known Belizean spice, and accompanied by Numero's signature excellent packaging and notes, Cult Cargo is biological funk warfare at its finest.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player