Various Artists Dødpop Vol. 1
Skweee is still strange to many ears, but that’s a shame given all the attention wonky and Flying Lotus are getting, given that the ideas are similar—only skwee turns the synthesizer knob up to 11. Dødpop is the newest label on the Scandinavian “Conflict R&B” scene, and its output is pure genius. Label stalwarts Beatbully and Sprutbass turn in an impressive myriad of jerky beats and crazy filtered synths, all bathed in a hip-hop feel. Fulgeance and Sadat X also offer credible performances, but it’s the relatively unknown artists who truly shine, from Melkeveien’s “Yo!” to Daniel Savio's smoother “Smokeless Fire.”
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsSimian Mobile Disco Shares Second Single from 'Whorl'
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player