Various Artists De-programming Sequence
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Liberation Systems
Liberation Systems wants to evoke the illbient movement of the early '90s with their De-programming Sequence. And you know what? Drifting through the soot-covered streets with a mind full of Deleuze and Sun Ra can still be titillating. This NYC-centric comp wisely avoids the awkward pacing and digital detritus that often cursed illbient, instead focusing on its liquid mixology and 20-watt lit jazz. Highlights: Shakeyface's hypnotic tabla-hop and tear-jerked electro-funk, Guillermo E. Brown's drum machine touring the projects. Lowlight: DJ Spooky's bush league future-jazz. Black light: Kentyah Meets Jodan's sample of two ladies discussing Carl Jung's vision of nuclear holocaust.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player