Various Artists The Detroit Experiment
- Words: Dan Sicko
- Label: Ropeadope
Derrick May once prefaced a comment about techno by saying, "Detroit is a complete mistake," as if the city wasn't expected to kick out great music. Thankfully, the context for that quote was over a decade ago. The city has since figured techno out to some degree, and this new project on Ropeadope continues the healing process. The Detroit Experiment brings one of the oldest Detroit musical traditions-jazz-together with two of the newest, techno and hip-hop. Musicians ranging from Headhunter Bennie Maupin to Jeremy (Ayro) Ellis were recorded during sessions at the White Room. Producers Carl Craig, Karriem Riggins and Ace Levinson were sparing in their treatments, yet the end results are mind-blowing bits of alchemy that surpass even Innerzone's journeys. Experiment? Mistake? No longer.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player