Various Artists The DFA Remixes: Chapter One
- Words: Jennifer Marston
- Label: Astralwerks
Having risen from the shadows of the indie scene to the iPods of every hipster in the country in 2005, a collection of dance edits seemed the inevitable next step for DFA masterminds James Murphy and Tim Goldsworthy. Perhaps the real strength here is not so much the production work, but the duo's ability to choose tracks that translate well into dance numbers. The power chords and spasmodic vocals on Blues Explosion's "Mars Arizona" seem to have been written with a 4/4 beat in mind, while mainstream numbers from The Chemcial Brothers and Gorillaz receive disco-friendly makeovers that would prompt even the snootiest of music fans to tap their feet. We await chapter two with pleasure.
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
XLR8R Downloads Player