Various Artists Dimitri from Paris Presents Cocktail Disco
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: BBE
It looks like our friend finally got evicted from the Playboy Mansion. It was for the best-entertaining an octogenarian sultan and his harem with disco magic can be depressing. A decade ago, Dimitri made hipsters smile ironically with the splendors of French-themed lounge and psychedelia of the '60s. Here he indulges in '70s orchestral disco that befits naptime for cruise-line drunks. Standouts: the J. Elliott Group's bastardization of Martin Denny's exotica classic "Quiet Village" and Charlie's Roots' disco for the guy who's crying alone on a beanbag chair. Dimitri's mix grows middle-aged, but the music opens up ripe fantasies of the good times that you never had in the Me Decade.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player