Various Artists DJ Hyper: Wired
- Words: Jennifer Marston
- Label: Thrive
Hyper is often hailed as a pioneer of the breakbeat scene, but Wired begs the question: just how innovative is Guy Hatfield's sound? Disc one renders doubt, since the mix lacks almost everything but trance samples circa 1998. The beats are simplistic and minimal at best, making you wonder if we're moving forwards, backwards or stuck in the same old field full of shit. Hyper redeems himself with a second disc of gritty, glitchy beats and complicated breaks from the likes of Marscrusier, Andy Page, Uberzone and Attack Force, and if he's indeed looking for new territory to explore, this is it.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player