Various Artists DJ-Kicks: Daddy G
- Words: Tamara Warren
- Label: !K7
Daddy G. crystallized Massive Attack's departure into unexplored beat technology. The longtime DJ's smoothed-out sound is a primer for Massive Attack fans' rare collection essentials. It's a gritty journey, launching with Willie William's classic reggae joint "Armageddon Time," and then moving into Melaaz's eerie French croons on "Non Non Non." Tricky's unreleased "Aftermath" and Massive Attack's "Karma Koma" are sexy surprises. Massive Attack and Mos Def pop delicious on "I Against I," easing into Danny Krivit's remix of Aretha Franklin's "Rock Steady." Packed with funkdafied Massive Attack remixes, abstract beatseekers will be appeased by Daddy G's dreamlike sequencing.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player