Various Artists DJ-Kicks: Daddy G
- Words: Tamara Warren
- Label: !K7
Daddy G. crystallized Massive Attack's departure into unexplored beat technology. The longtime DJ's smoothed-out sound is a primer for Massive Attack fans' rare collection essentials. It's a gritty journey, launching with Willie William's classic reggae joint "Armageddon Time," and then moving into Melaaz's eerie French croons on "Non Non Non." Tricky's unreleased "Aftermath" and Massive Attack's "Karma Koma" are sexy surprises. Massive Attack and Mos Def pop delicious on "I Against I," easing into Danny Krivit's remix of Aretha Franklin's "Rock Steady." Packed with funkdafied Massive Attack remixes, abstract beatseekers will be appeased by Daddy G's dreamlike sequencing.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player