Various Artists DJ Kicks: Erlend ?ye
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: !K7
As one half of a duo frequently dubbed the Norwegian Simon and "Garfunkel," Kings Of Convenience's Erlend ?ye has often seemed diametrically opposed to club culture. However, a startling conversion seems to have occurred. Following an Ibiza-promoted K.O.C remix album, ?ye's solo debut, Unrest, featured collaborations with ten different electronic music producers, including electro duo Mr. Velcro Fastener and Atlanta's glitch-hop king Prefuse 73. On his first mix CD, ?ye is self-styled as "the singing DJ." He adds acapellas of his own "A Place In My Heart" and The Smiths' "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" to instrumentals from Morgan Geist and Ràyksopp to beguiling effect, and draws on tracks from the Kompakt, Playhouse and Telle labels to fulfill his stated role as "host of the party."
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
XLR8R Downloads Player