Various Artists DJ Morpheus: I Can't Live Without My Radio
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Tigersushi
Tracked by DJ Morpheus (a.k.a. Samy Birnbach)-former singer of early-'80s post-punks Minimal Compact- Can't Live Without My Radio is from/for the cassette generation. Featuring artists like Virgin Prunes, Love & Rockets, Heaven 17, Shriekback, Head, Timezone feat. John Lydon & Afrika Bambaataa, Thrill Kill Kult, 23 Skidoo, and Einst¸rzende Neubauten, this compilation (not "mix") embodies the dry, oblique architecture of '80s college radio captured to Dolby Noise Reduction tape during a Goth-meets-"glam savage" overnight slot. Here, rigid, rhythmic underpinnings vie with murky collages under scorched gloss, coagulating in industrial punk-funk New Wave/New Beat. Urban and humid, while sinister and sterile, songs such as Age of Chance's appropriation of Prince's "Kiss" are as much about gleefully marring pop's veneer as they are calculated designs for social and stylistic change.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player