Various Artists DJ Smash Presents Phonography Volume 2
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Blue Note
Remember acid jazz? DJ Smash does. The man who became a club scene icon back in the early '90s via his residency at NYC's Giant Step and the Fat Jazzy Grooves series has updated his resum? with a new gig at Blue Note, if not a new attitude. Like the first volume, this second helping of Phonography can claim to be a nu-skool jazz primer for clubheads. Its stylistic range tilts from Last Poets-esque minimalist poetry to moody downtempo to soulful house to energetic drum and bass. The irony of it all is that the selections are a little slicker, perhaps, but otherwise very much in tune with the acid jazz era-a time when it didn't mean a thing if it didn't have that swing.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
XLR8R Downloads Player