Various Artists Drop the Lime vs. Syrup Girls: Shotgun Wedding Vol. 4
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Violent Turd
Ghetto-house, gutterbreakz, and other guttural exhalations adhere together like pursed lips suctioning sweat-beaded skin on this "two-sided" coupling of New York producer Drop the Lime and LES DJs Syrup Girls (in the interest of disclosure, half of which is XLR8R editor Vivian Host). DTL‘s unrelenting 42-minute pitch-and hell-bent dubstep is as condensed and grimy as all five boroughs. Meanwhile, Syrup Girls‘ 38 syncopated standout minutes of 4x4 grime, Bmore club, and bubbly bass are viscous yet brisk, splattered with cum-ons and poppin‘ off. Muggy and at times almost gunmetal-grim clanging on side A, raunchy and steely strut on side B, Shotgun Wedding Vol. 4 fires at a crackin‘ clip.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player