Various Artists Earth: Legacy of Dissolution
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: No Quarter
No Quarter-the label reissuing Seattle-based stasis-metal project Earth‘s notorious live album, Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars-further celebrates the ambient/doom metal group with remixes. Earth‘s songs are geodes: unevenly textured and densely gilded, they‘re self-contained wonders formed through a pressurized gauntlet. Even Godflesh and Sabbath quiver. Earth‘s core, Dylan Carlson, has handpicked six producers-Mogwai, Russell Haswell, Jim O‘Rourke, Autechre (who create, oddly, the most rhythmically "rock" remix), Justin Broadrick, and Sunn0))) (once an Earth tribute band)-who understand hum, delay, and decay can matter as much, if not more, than any note. Mosaic constellations of white dwarves, the remixes of Earth are like trudging mournfully through pixilated, crystallized supernova remnants, and would make the Melvins and Fennesz proud.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player