Various Artists Em:T 0004
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: EM:T
What's this? Ambient synth excursions that lack DSP fingerprints and give listeners actual breathing space? How refreshing...well, almost. This compilation could soundtrack planetarium shows, dream-journal writing, crystal therapy sessions or colonics for that matter. Most of the artists try to pay the bills with New Age schmaltz, but there are exceptions. Red Leb's "Freezebee" deftly makes the long drones of so many '80s slasher flicks bearable with floating, new wave beats. Beatsystem's epic "Sud" is ended by a brilliant coda of crowd chatter at a French park blended with ocean waves. Just don't play this CD when you go to sleep; comas aren't pleasant.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player