Various Artists Em:T 0004
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: EM:T
What's this? Ambient synth excursions that lack DSP fingerprints and give listeners actual breathing space? How refreshing...well, almost. This compilation could soundtrack planetarium shows, dream-journal writing, crystal therapy sessions or colonics for that matter. Most of the artists try to pay the bills with New Age schmaltz, but there are exceptions. Red Leb's "Freezebee" deftly makes the long drones of so many '80s slasher flicks bearable with floating, new wave beats. Beatsystem's epic "Sud" is ended by a brilliant coda of crowd chatter at a French park blended with ocean waves. Just don't play this CD when you go to sleep; comas aren't pleasant.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player