Various Artists Enjoy the Silence
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: Mule Electronic
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Celebrating the fifth anniversary of Mule Electronic, Japanese promoter and Mule Musiq founder Toshiya Kawasaki has created a serene, weightless ambient compilation of mostly exclusive releases showcasing many of the label’s better-known artists and a few recent acquisitions, like Minilogue and DJ Sprinkles (a.k.a. Terre Thaemlitz). Minilogue’s “In Smoke We All Become Friends” wades through about six minutes of minimal, nature-inspired ambient noise before percussion akin to a dishwasher heard from the next room throbs mechanically to life. Simultaneously austere and quirky, DJ Koze’s “Lords of Panama Rendered” cushions distinct buzzes ranging in intensity from “bumblebee” to “passing moped” in pretty, electronic chimes and warm, warping atmospheric synths, then adds in a psychedelic handling of beeping supermarket checkout sounds.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player