Various Artists Enjoy the Silence
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: Mule Electronic
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Celebrating the fifth anniversary of Mule Electronic, Japanese promoter and Mule Musiq founder Toshiya Kawasaki has created a serene, weightless ambient compilation of mostly exclusive releases showcasing many of the label’s better-known artists and a few recent acquisitions, like Minilogue and DJ Sprinkles (a.k.a. Terre Thaemlitz). Minilogue’s “In Smoke We All Become Friends” wades through about six minutes of minimal, nature-inspired ambient noise before percussion akin to a dishwasher heard from the next room throbs mechanically to life. Simultaneously austere and quirky, DJ Koze’s “Lords of Panama Rendered” cushions distinct buzzes ranging in intensity from “bumblebee” to “passing moped” in pretty, electronic chimes and warm, warping atmospheric synths, then adds in a psychedelic handling of beeping supermarket checkout sounds.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player