Various Artists Enjoy the Silence
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: Mule Electronic
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Celebrating the fifth anniversary of Mule Electronic, Japanese promoter and Mule Musiq founder Toshiya Kawasaki has created a serene, weightless ambient compilation of mostly exclusive releases showcasing many of the label’s better-known artists and a few recent acquisitions, like Minilogue and DJ Sprinkles (a.k.a. Terre Thaemlitz). Minilogue’s “In Smoke We All Become Friends” wades through about six minutes of minimal, nature-inspired ambient noise before percussion akin to a dishwasher heard from the next room throbs mechanically to life. Simultaneously austere and quirky, DJ Koze’s “Lords of Panama Rendered” cushions distinct buzzes ranging in intensity from “bumblebee” to “passing moped” in pretty, electronic chimes and warm, warping atmospheric synths, then adds in a psychedelic handling of beeping supermarket checkout sounds.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player