Various Artists Fabric 15: Tyrant, Mixed By Craig Richards
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Fabric
Craig Richards deserves a prize for shining a neon light on some of tech-house and electro's most interesting underground producers. A resident jock at London's beloved Fabric club, Richards threads together 37 tracks over two CDs, with only a few clumsy segues and dud selections. The first CD digs deep into minimal tech-house's quirkiest seams, eschewing huge peaks for a stream of inventively warped and economically chugging highlights by the likes of Seafoam, Pantytec and Mirwais. On disc two, Richards makes us fall in love with electro all over again, excavating nuggets from the genre's past and present with only one descent into kitsch (Chicks On Speed aping Trio's bare-bones banality). Fabric 15: Tyrant ranks along with mixes by Michael Mayer, Triple R and Villalobos (represented here with a slinky, floor-churning remix of Sieg Uber Die Sonne's "You Never Come Back") as one of the most scintillating comps of the decade.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player