Various Artists Fabric 17: Akufen
- Words: Vivian Host
- Label: Fabric
Those looking for an intro to microhouse could do worse than this studio mix from the Edward Scissorhands of Montreal, Akufen. He kicks off this very clicky and restrained party with some of the genre's biggest hits of the last year: Philippe Cam's quirky, skipping "LFO Drive" and Pantytec's gurgling remix of Matthew Dear's "Dog Days." The best numbers add a little personality to all the clicks and cuts, with Crackhaus giving an unexpected big band swing to the rather lush "Ample Slacks" and Senor Coconut's turning "Smoke On the Water" into a driving techbossa mover and shaker. This is house broken into a thousand tiny bits and the shards superglued back together, and it's not for the technophobe.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player