Various Artists Fabric 17: Akufen
- Words: Vivian Host
- Label: Fabric
Those looking for an intro to microhouse could do worse than this studio mix from the Edward Scissorhands of Montreal, Akufen. He kicks off this very clicky and restrained party with some of the genre's biggest hits of the last year: Philippe Cam's quirky, skipping "LFO Drive" and Pantytec's gurgling remix of Matthew Dear's "Dog Days." The best numbers add a little personality to all the clicks and cuts, with Crackhaus giving an unexpected big band swing to the rather lush "Ample Slacks" and Senor Coconut's turning "Smoke On the Water" into a driving techbossa mover and shaker. This is house broken into a thousand tiny bits and the shards superglued back together, and it's not for the technophobe.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player