Various Artists Fabric 17: Akufen
- Words: Vivian Host
- Label: Fabric
Those looking for an intro to microhouse could do worse than this studio mix from the Edward Scissorhands of Montreal, Akufen. He kicks off this very clicky and restrained party with some of the genre's biggest hits of the last year: Philippe Cam's quirky, skipping "LFO Drive" and Pantytec's gurgling remix of Matthew Dear's "Dog Days." The best numbers add a little personality to all the clicks and cuts, with Crackhaus giving an unexpected big band swing to the rather lush "Ample Slacks" and Senor Coconut's turning "Smoke On the Water" into a driving techbossa mover and shaker. This is house broken into a thousand tiny bits and the shards superglued back together, and it's not for the technophobe.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player