Various Artists Fabric 25: Carl Craig
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Fabric
You‘re probably expecting loads of poker-faced, future-tilting, Detroitian techno from Mr. Craig, right? Guess again. Planet E‘s honcho subverts expectations with this 18-track mix that mainly explores house‘s deeper terrain while keeping the party vibes at fever pitch (aided by Craig‘s own synth embellishments, handclaps, and crowd-hyping exhortations). After layering lush synth washes over Ying Yang Twins‘ nasty a cappella of "Wait," Craig segues into pacific, Basic Channel-like techno with his "Angel (Caya Dub)." But soon after, he‘s off on a soulful, cowbell-heavy house bender, before returning to more familiar orchestral tech-house. Craig‘s dug deep for Fabric 25, and it pays hedonistic dividends.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player